The Lady Frances Peyton’s Almhouses
Registered Charity Number: 203559
Aims & Objectives:
ALMSHOUSES FOR THE BENEFIT OF POOR PERSONS OF GOOD CHARACTER WHO ARE INHABITANTS OF THE PARISH OF ISLEHAM.
Lady Frances Peyton built and endowed an Hospital, about the year 1575.
The following extracts are from CALM (Cambridgeshie Archives & Local Stusies)
Peyton's Hospital. Royal letters patent: recited that Lady Frances Peyton, widow of Robert Peyton of Isleham, knight, has resolved to give lands and tenements in Isleham of the annual value of five marks, occupied by John Reade, Robert Middleton, John Reynolde, Margery Williamson, John Carter, Beatrice Pierson, Agnes Mosse, Robert Williamson, and William Woodde, for the support of the poor, and has begged that a hospital or almshouse of a master, six brothers and six sisters should be l founded there for this purpose. Grant that a hospital or almshouse, called Peytons Hospitale should be founded in Isleham for the relief of the poor, consisting of a master, six brothers and six sisters, who shall be a body corporate, by the name of the Master, Brothers and Sisters of the Hospital of Isleham called Peyton's Hospital. Appointment of John Reade as Master, Robert Middleton, John Carter, and Robert Williamson as Brothers, and Beatrice Pierson as a Sister. Power to Lady Peyton to appoint three other brothers and five other sisters. Grant that the Master etc. shall have perpetual succession and be able to have and receive goods and land. Power to Lady Peyton and her heirs to appoint Master, brothers and sisters in place of those who die. Grant that the Master etc. shall have a common seal, and be able to sue and be sued. Power to Lady Peyton and her heirs to make statutes for the governance of the Hospital. The Master, Brothers and Sisters shall swear to observe these statutes when they are admitted. Grant that the Master etc. may receive lands of not more than 200 marks annual value. Revenues to be used for support of the Hospital, Master etc. and the lands, and for no other purpose. 3 February, 21 Elizabeth (1578/79) (Great Seal (missing) formerly appended on black & white silk cords)
1578 - 1579
Peyton's Hospital. Feoffment of messuage or principal mansion house of the Hospital of Isleham called Peytons Hospital, lately built by Lady Frances Peyton, next to her tenement, late of Philip Adams on the east, tenement of Robert Peyton and Hobbes Ponde on north, and Pickerell Lane on south, which land Lady Frances bought of Robert Peyton by a deed dated 10th May, 14 Elizabeth (1572); and messuage in Isleham, between land of Robert Peyton on west and tenement late of Thomas Duke, formerly of John Wrattam on east, a public way on south, and a highway on north, which Lady Frances bought of Philip Addams of Isleham, yeoman, by deed dated 1 October, 12 Elizabeth (1570); and 26a. 3r. of land scattered in the fields of Isleham and Fordham which formerly belonged to the Chantry of Little Isleham, were bought by Robert Peyton, knight, of Thomas Tyrell of London, Esq., and descended to his son Robert, from whom they were bought by Lady Frances by deed dated 1 December last (1581); six acres of land scattered in Isleham, bought by Lady Frances of Thomas Peyton of Knowlton, Kent, Esq., the son and heir of John Peyton, by deed dated 5 November, 15 Elizabeth (1573); 2a. 3r. of land lying scattered in Fordham in Barrowe Field, late of Henry Veysey, gentleman, bought by Lady Frances of Thomas Poole of Isleham, husbandman, by deed dated 10 July, 16 Elizabeth (1574); and 3.5a. of land lying scattered in the fields of Isleham, with common of turbary in Turffen and common of pasture for twenty beasts. Robert Peyton of Isleham, Esq., son and heir of Lady Frances Peyton, to John Reade, the Master, Brothers and Sisters of the Hospital. 6 August, 24 Elizabeth (1582) Attached: detailed schedule of lands armorial seal of Robert Peyton
1570 - 1582
Peyton's Hospital. Draft decree of Commissioners: reciting Commission from Court of Chancery dated 27 November 1654, and meeting of the Commissioners at the sign of the Falcon in Cambridge on 29 October 1655 on complaint of inhabitants of Isleham, by oath of Henry Essex, Thomas Woods, John Hill, William Reeve, Stephen Johnson, John Gibbon, John Gifford, John Clarke, Alex Bowles, Robert Smyth, Edward Willerton, Alex Turner, Christopher Watson and Samuel Harrison, who found that Lady Frances Peyton settled lands upon Robert Luckyne and others, long since dead, to be used for the benefit of the Master, Brethren and Sisters, the chief house and 20a. for the use of the Master at rent of 40s. p.a., who is to grow corn on 18a. of land for the Brethren and Sisters who are each to have a dwelling and a house for their corn, and that there had been no Master for a long time, and his house and land had for sixteen years been in the possession of Sir John Maynard, K.B., and John Maynard, his son, who kept much of the revenues of the Hospital for their own use; and that Sir John Maynard bought the manor from Sir Edward Peyton and took the deeds of the charity at the same time; and that John Lukyne is the grandson and next heir of the last surviving feoffee. Decree that Hospital be settled in accordance with the foundation; that John Maynard and his son should surrender the houses and lands of the Hospital, that deeds of the Hospital be kept in locked chest in chief house; and that John Lukyne make feoffment of the lands to seven or eight other men. n.d. (1655) (Endorsed in later hand Never sealed - only ye draught of a decree not executed.)
1654 - 1655
Peyton's Hospital. Bill of complaint of William Sharpe and others against Sir John Maynard and John Maynard, Henry Raulins and Thomas Sparrow, their servants, and Robert Lukyn, grandson of the last surviving trustee, reciting foundation of Hospital, and that Sir John Peyton, seeking to overthrow the charity, embezzled the deeds, withheld the yearly payment of 40s., left the places of the Master and others empty, and sold the messuage and 20 acres to Sir John Maynard, K.B., and awardd made by John Langford & John Rant, arbitrators between the plaintiffs and the defendants (following the decree (as in P098/25/03) and exceptions thereto made against William Sharpe, Edward Baylye and others by Sir John Maynard and John Maynard) requiring John Lukyn to make conveyance of the almshouses etc. with right of common, and 18 acres of arable, to Sir John Maynard, John Maynard, Roger Peachy, Vicar of Isleham, Edward Lukyn of Isleham, gentleman, and William Sharpe in trust for the Master, Brothers and Sisters of the Hospital, and requiring tenants of Almshouse Farm to carry out the services provided by the Foundation deed, and requiring deeds of the Hospital to be placed in a chest in the custody of the Master etc., and guaranteeing Sir John Maynard and John Maynard peaceable possession provided annual sum of 40s. is paid etc. dated 30 September 16(56), but that Henry Rowlens and Thomas Sparrow refused to sign the award, although the had accepted the arbitration on behalf of their masters. (first sheet and sheets 35 onwards, if any, missing: badly damaged by damp)
Peyton's Hospital. Feoffment, (in obedience to decree of) Chancery, dated 3 December (1656, of five almshouses in Isleham known as Lady Frances Peyton's Hospital, and 18 acres arable in the fields of Isleham with liberty) of common and common of turbary. John Lukyn (of Cambridge, esq.,) son and heir of Robert Lukyn, esq., who was son (and heir of Robert) Lukyn, to Sir John Maynard, K.B., John Maynard, esq., Roger Peachey, vicar of Isleham, Edward (Lukyn of Cambridge, Gentleman, and William Sharpe) of Isleham, yeoman, in trust for the Master, Brethren and Sisters. 6 (January 1656/1657) (badly damaged by damp: details inserted from recital in P098/25/08)
1656 - 1657
Peyton's Hospital. Conveyance to new trustees: release, following lease for a year, of the five almshouses & 18 acres, with fen grounds, 50 acres, recently allotted to the almshouses. Isaac Archer of Mildenhall, Suffolk, clerk, and Anne, his wife, one of the two coheirs of Roger Peachey of Isleham, clerk, deceased, and Mary Peachey, spinster, the other coheir, to Dame Katherine Maynard, widow, Sir Rushout Cullen, baronet, and Dame Mary, his wife, Robert, Casborne of Isleham, gentleman and Joseph Sharpe of Isleham, yeoman, to the use of Isaac Archer etc. and Dame Katherine Maynard, etc., in trust for the Master, brethren and sisters. 9 November 1688
Peyton's Hospital. Conveyance to new trustees: lease and release of almshouses etc., (as in P098/25/08). Sir Rushout Cullen of Isleham, baronet, Joseph Sharp of Isleham, yeoman, Richard Boteler of Bury Saint Edmunds, Suffolk, gentleman, and Mary, his wife, one of the coheirs of Roger Peachey, William Foorth of Eriswell, Suffolk, clerk, and Anne, his wife (only child of Isaack Archer and Anne, his wife), to James Buller of Shillingham, Cornwall, esq., John Caseborne, gentleman, eldest son of Robert Caseborne of Isleham, gentleman, deceased, and Edmund Walthew, Vicar of Isleham, to the use of Sir Rushout Cullen, Joseph Sharp, James Buller, etc., in trust for the Master, brethren and sisters. 18 and 19 September 1701
Peyton's Hospital. Conveyance to new trustees: lease and release of almshouses, etc., (as in P098/25/08). Sir Rushout Cullen of Isleham, baronet, only survivor of trustees named in P098/25/09, to Richard Swan, Vicar of Isleham, Robert Harwin, William Sharp, James Helder, William Gunston, Robert Knights, and Jeremiah Mast the elder, all of Isleham, and Joseph Sharp of Thetford, Norfolk, grocer, to the use of Sir Rushout Cullen, Richard Swan, etc. in trust for the Master, Brethren and Sisters. 16 and 17 July 1713
Peyton's Hospital. Lease, preparatory to release, of almshouses etc. (as in P098/25/08). Sir Rushout Cullen of Isleham, baronet, John Love, Vicar of Isleham, Joseph Sharp of Thetford, Norfolk, gentleman, William Gunston of Isleham, gentleman, to Thomas Asplam the elder of Isleham, gentleman, Jeremiah Mast, George Gunston and Edward Asplam, all of Isleham, yeomen, Richard Casbourn the younger & Robert Moody, both of Isleham, grocers, and William Sharp of Isleham, yeoman. am, 4 March 1727
Peyton's Hospital. Lease, preparatory to release, of almshouses etc. (as in P098/25/08). John Francis Buller of Morval, Cornwall, esq., John Love, Vicar of Isleham, Jeremiah Mast and Edward Asplan, both of Isleham, yeomen, Richard Casbourn and Robert Moody, both of Isleham, grocers, and William Sharp of Isleham, yeoman, to Richard Daston of Isleham, esq., George Gunston and Edward Gunston, both of Isleham, yeomen. 16 December 1734
Peyton's Hospital. Conveyance to new trustees: feoffment of almshouses etc. (as in P098/25/08). George Gunston of Isleham, yeoman, to John Buller of Isleham, esq., John Buller the younger, esq., his son, Barham Rashbrooke of Mildenhall, Suffolk, esq., Henry Bates of Freckenham, clerk, Clement Tookie of Chippenham, clerk, George Steers, Vicar of Isleham, Robert Knight, William Sharp the elder, Joseph Sharpe the younger and Johnt Arthy, all of Isleham, farmers, to their use and the use of George Gunston, in trust for the Master, brethren and sisters. 1 June 1777
Peyton's Hospital. Conveyance to new trustees: feoffment of almshouses etc. (as in P098/25/08). John Buller of Isleham, esq., John Buller the younger, his son, Henry Bates of Freckenham, Suffolk, D.D., Clement Tookie of Chippenham, clerk, George Steers, Vicar of Isleham, and Robert Knight of Isleham, farmer, to James Nasmith of Snailwell, clerk, William Sharpe of Isleham, gentleman, and Joseph Arthy of Isleham, gentleman, to the use of John Buller, esq. etc., and James Nasmith etc., in trust for the Master, brethren and sisters. 15 May 1788
Charity of Lady Maynard and others. Exemplification of common recovery of messuage and thirteen acres of marsh in Mildenhall, Suffolk, by Thomas Seyliard, gentleman, from Robert Hagar, gentleman. Vouchees: Edward Shelley John Cooke 29 November, 9 William III (1697) Endorsed in later hand: Isleham: J.B. Isaacson, Vicar, John Young, George Cooper, churchwardens.
Particulars of letting of Turf land. 6 May 1861
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Lease of 10.196 acres near Black Hall (OS 480).
14 February 1966
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Lease of 13.815 acres near Black Hall (OS 462).
1 April 1969
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Mortgage for £2,273 from Newmarket Rural District Council [subsequently repaid]. 5 December 1958
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Authority of further borrowing [subsequently repaid].
3 March 1967
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Copy of authority to sell real estate.
6 January 1971
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Copy of sanction for expenditure and directions to recoup by yearly payment. 30 September 1980
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Printed copy of charity scheme (1848) with summary of report and order. 1848
Lady Francis Peyton's Hospital Charity. Undated fragment of a letter found 'in the wall of one of the almshouses during renovation work in 1982'.
NOTES ON THE MANORS OF GREAT ISLEHAM WITH BERNARDS, BECK
OTHERWISE BECK HALL, NEWHALL AND UPHALL, CAMBRIDGESHIRE.
From Gough's Sepulchral Monuments, 1786-96:
11 Edw. III (1314) Florentia, wife of Nicholas Fraunces, held the manor of Isleham, c. Cambridge, of the earl of Arundel, by fealty and service, sending to the said earl a small piece of bacon on a lance, and a pair of gilt spurs, value 3s.4d. to a certain place in Isleham, called Herringes-mere, if the said earl, came thither in person , and , if there be war in England, and not otherwise. (B1omefield's MS Collections, from a NS in the Pepysian library)
Alleged copy of a document at Alnwick Castle, Northumberland:
24 May 19 Rd.II (1396): Grant by Rauf de Percy son of the Court of Northumberland to Thomas Steward for his service of an annual rent of 20 Marks to be paid from the Manor of Isleham c. Cambridge annually in equal terms of Michaelmas and Faster for the term of the Grantees life. And if the rent not paid then
the Grantee may enter the Manor and distrain it until full payment be made & six shillings and seven pence have been paid in part payment.
Sir Godfrey Bernard, crusader, acquired the manor in the reign of King John. He was Deputy Governor of Gascony. Arms: Argent a bear rampant sable muzzled or.
Sir William Bernard, coroner, succeeded his father.
Sir Gilbert Bernard succeeded his father.
Sir William Bernard succeeded his father.
Sir Robert Bernard succeeded his father.
Sir John Bernard succeeded his father and gave the manor as a dower for his eldest daughter, Margaret. He was knighted in the field after the battle of Agincourt in 1415 and was one of the officers told off to superintend the killing of the prisoners.
Later he was created a banneret and was appointed Captain and Bailli of Jersey and Guernsey. He carried King Richard' III's banner and fell at the battle of Bosworth.
1430 Thomas de Peyton married Margaret, daughter and heiress of Sir John Bernard. She brought the manor of Isleham into the family.
Arms of Peyton: Sable a cross engrailed or in the first quarter a mullet argent. Crest: a griffin sejant or.
1484 Thomas Peyton succeeded his grandfather.
1490 Sir Robert Peyton, Sheriff for counties of Cambridge and Huntingdon in 1499, succeeded his brother. He was created a knight banneret on the field of the battle of Stoke Heath in 1487 when Lambert Simnel was taken prisoner.
1517-18 Sir Robert Peyton, Sheriff for counties of Cambridge and Huntingdon in 1526 and 1556, succeeded his father. His wife left land for the foundation of Lady Frances Peyton's Hospital with a master, six brethren and six sisters.
1550 Robert Peyton, MP and Sheriff for counties of Cambridge and Huntingdon in 1553 and 1567, succeeded his father. The inscription above his tomb at Isleham reads: Yeeres of sixtie seaven did pass in governing. Both just and wise he was, by antient stock, but more by merit. His body the earth, his soule Heaven inherit.
1590 Sir John Peyton, MP and High Sheriff in 1593 and 1604, succeeded his father. He was eleventh on the list of eighteen on whom the dignity of baronet was first conferred on 22 May 1611.
1616 Sir Edward Peyton, MP, 2nd Baronet, succeeded his father and sold the manor in 1639. He fought in the Parliamentary army at the battles of Edgehill, Newbury and Naseby and was described by Sir Simon D'Ewes as "infelix antiqui sui patrimonii dissipator”
1639 Sir John Maynard purchased the manor and he and his son were in 1837 found by the Commissioners for Inquiring Concerning Charities to have misused the buildings and funds of Lady Frances Peyton's Hospital. The foundation was restored.
1683 Mrs. Catherine Maynard, widow, held the manors of Great Isleham with Beck or Bernards; of Beck Hall; and of New-hall and Up-hall.
1696 Sir Rushout Cullen, Part, gave the interest on £50 to clothe the poor every Christmas Day for ever.
1730 John Francis Buller
1752 James Buller
1766 Hon. John Buller, one of the Commissioners of the Customs.
1807 Purchased by Robert Knight.
1815 William Dunn Gardner.
1831 Jane Dunn Gardner, widow.
1839 Hon. William Townsend, commonly called Lord William Townsend
1848 William Dunn Gardner.
1882 Cyril Dunn Gardner.
1916 Angelina Dunn Gardner, widow.
1925 Algernon Charles Wyndham Dunn Gardner
1929 Miriam Dunn Gardner who married Harvey Cliff Leader, race horse trainer.
1962 Deed of gift to Derrick Charles Wakehurst Peyton, lineal descendant of Sir Edward Peyton.
The manorial records from 1468 to 1804 have been deposited in the Cambridgeshire Record Office.
Trustees as of August 2020